Wednesday, December 2, 2009

SHHH!

So RD and I had decided a few years ago to be honest with the kids about the big guy in the red suit. We decided to do the normal traditions for Christmas, but if the kids came to us and asked a direct question, we would tell the truth. ID asked a couple of years ago. It was not easy but we of course told him . We also gave him strict instructions to not tell any of his friends because their parents may not want them to know. He still struggles to understand why parents would want to teach their kids about the big guy. (Of course he just recently put together that the tooth fairy is not real!) He tells us that it is very hard to not tell and has admitted to telling maybe a kid or two. But he has for the most part been very diligent in keeping quiet.
Now AD is another story! (is it because she is a girl or just forgetful?)She has still believed in him--until yesterday. Apparently yesterday they had a bit of a discussion about SC in class . So she came home and asked the big question. I reluctantly broke her heart and stressed that we don't tell other kids. She must have stopped listening to me before I said the latter part. Today around 9:00am I received a call from her teacher. Mrs. S was very cordial and said that she just wanted to let me know what had happened. Apparently the conversation from yesterday continued and AD had some new info to share- "My mom says there is no such thing as SC!" Apparently mayhem broke out after that. Imagine 19 five year olds hearing that news all at once! I believe Mrs. S handled it appropriately. I'm not sure what she said to them, but she did reassure them. I'm not sure what kind of backlash this will create for me- I am the room mother and have just started planning the class Christmas party! I guess only time will tell. AD was very upset, I guess because kids weren't believing her. Mrs. S said she is doing better now. I must apologize to any parents who have explaining or patch up work to do! I am truly sorry! Maybe now she will remember to keep secrets!

1 comment:

Katherine Ronachert said...

i would've loved to be a fly on the wall in that classroom

Labels