Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Getting the most positive report on your child!

I have discovered a sure way to get a positive report on your child from their school. Sure you kid does fine they say what a good student he is, if he has trouble in a subject it is usually not such a pleasant report. I have experienced both of these situations. But they cannot compare to my last parent/teacher conference for ID. He has struggled all year in reading due to his learning disability, and is basically on the kindergarten level, though he is in first grade. After observing the class that ID has been in for reading,I approached his teachers and the principal about concerns I have with the reading program offered to him. It is a program way over his head and does not address his LD or teach him in a manner he can learn. It also does not allow time for the teachers to address his problems any other way. One week after meeting with them we had our conference. I have never heard such good things about any of my children or how much they have learned in a year! They were so excited to tell us about how he can read! He is apparently doing many things in reading, like comprehending, that many of his classmates can't do so well. I truly cannot put into words all their gooey sentiments and compliments. They were so excited that it has taken him all year to be able to finally put a three letter word together! (Ninety percent of the words he can read, I have personally taught him!) With all this in mind the thing that will help him best is to repeat 1st grade next year! So if you want the best possible report on your child all you have to do is complain, or point out the problems with the school and their curriculum! I promise you it will work like a charm! (I just wish that had actually been my purpose for addressing these issues with them.)
I must apologize for writing such a blah post! This has been the only thing on my mind lately so I had to get it off my chest! This is also a big reason that I have not posted anything for a while. I have decided not to stress about it or think too much about it any more. I am counting down the days till school is over!

3 comments:

Katherine Ronachert said...

i'm so glad id is doing better. that is awesome news! go mom!

Anonymous said...

You didn't tell me about this. How obnoxious is that! Did anything come out of complaining or voicing your concerns?

Katherine Ronachert said...

oh, on a similar note...
to get rooms cleaned faster,
vacuum up a toy in front of child. (this was on accident, but proved to light a huge fire under that slow burning belly of his!)

Labels